Thursday, April 25, 2013

Your perceptions create your reality

Running around after a toddler often makes it difficult to arrive on time to appointments. Most of the time I just make it, but at times through no fault of my own, an obstacle prevents me from being punctual. As someone who loves being organized, running late is often a potential stressor for me, so I've been challenged in trying to find ways to accept that I'm doing my best & move on.

This morning was a great test case for me. Having dropped my daughter at childcare on time, I was very excited about being on time. I arrived at the station early. However, I was greeting by a packed station of people frustrated as a result of train delays. This meant I couldn't squeeze into the forthcoming train. So, I took a deep breath, contacted those waiting for me & jumped on the next train. Unfortunately this train was deviating from my usual route & stopped mid station for 20 minutes before progressing to another station. Here, I had to change trains again. Finally, I arrived at my destination 45 minutes late.

Normally, this tardiness would have left me quite stressed, but this morning my mindset was different and as a result. I arrived and explained calmly once again my predicament. Funnily enough - nothing bad happened. No- one was angry or upset with me. Everyone understood that I had tried my best. A very pleasing outcome!

So what changed in my mind on the way?

Along the train journey I told myself two things:

1) Perhaps this has delay has occurred to provide me with more time to listen to my inspirational CDs

2) I know in my heart that I tried my best & therefore there is nothing I can do about this situation

So, the greatest shift in my mind was focussing internally rather than externally.

If you look behind the reasons we worry about running late, it falls squarely on our concern about what others will think of us. Reframing the event and trusting that you're doing your best allows you to relax in the face of adversity & appreciate it for what it is. By changing my mindset, I changed my perception of the event. Instead of getting angry at the public transport system, I accepted that it was out of my control and made the best of the situation.

Question: Why is this shift so important?

Answer: I didn't want to allow this potentially negative experience to influence my positive state of mind. I know how important it is to be focused on my goals, dreams & desires and thus to be in the same positive frequency/energy as much as possible. Yes - life will throw me curve balls from time to time, but it's how I deal with these that result in my success or struggle in life.

For more support and tips on how you can live a happy and healthy life visit:

www.happylife.net.au / www.lifesuccesscoachs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment